Bournemouth School was founded in 1901 but moved to its present site in 1939. Whilst the main school building may in essence have the traditional look as it did in 1939, the exterior gives away the innovative approach within the school with the installation of photo-voltaic cells on the roof of the building. There have been many improvements to the site which have added a wide range of additional facilities so that we can improve the experiences gained by the students and broaden the range of opportunities available to them.
Our facilities include a very well-resourced library, an excellent art and technology block, outstanding sports facilities, thirteen science laboratories and extensive communications technology which includes a site-wide wireless network and interactive whiteboards in most teaching rooms. In 2007 we opened a new 9-classroom block which houses our mathematics and R.S. departments. We are always seeking to improve the facilities that we can offer the students and our most recent upgrade in 2010 has been the addition of a food technology suite and an upgrade to the main school kitchen which replaced the original ovens!
The Sir David English Sports Centre is home to our excellent sports facilities. Indoors the centre has an 8 badminton court sports hall, a dance/leisure studio and a weights and a cardio-vascular studio. Outside facilities include; 4 tennis courts, an all-weather Astroturf pitch, 3 rugby pitches, 2 football grass pitches, 2 cricket squares and a 400m athletics track.
Our site staff take enormous personal pride in the buildings and grounds and are constantly maintaining and improving the facilities.
Our main inhibitor to improving our facilities is the funding that we receive and we are constantly looking for revenue sources to implement our projects.